Library cards are free for residents of Douglas County. Out-of-state residents may apply for a free library card with the understanding that certain services (such as some e-resources and WISCAT loans) are only available to Wisconsin residents. Children under age 14 are eligible as long as they are accompanied by a custodial parent or legal guardian with a library card in good standing. Applicants must be present to be issued a card.
What you'll need:
- A picture ID (driver's license, state ID card, tribal ID, passport, student ID)
- Proof of your current address
- If your picture ID has your current address on it (such as a driver's license), that is all you need.
- If the address on your picture ID isn't current (or your picture ID doesn't include an address), you'll need to provide something that shows your current address, such as a piece of mail that's been delivered to your current address, a printed receipt with your name and address on it, or check blanks with your current address printed on them.
You can register online for a temporary card! Here's how:
- Click here to sign up for a temporary card number for instant access to some of our electronic resources, or to place requests for materials.
- You'll need to remember the temporary card number you will receive after registering in order to log into your account and place up to 2 requests for materials (does not include downloadable materials).
- To complete your registration, you will need to bring a photo ID and proof of your current address to the library.
- Once you've completed your registration, you'll receive a permanent library card and be able to check out materials, use the library computers or access and download emedia.
- Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to complete the registration process.
- Please stop in the library within 30 days to complete your registration and receive your permanent card.
Please see our Circulation Policy for additional information about eligibility, loan periods, overdue fines, and checkout limits.