About the project
Starting December 4, 2017 the Superior Public Library will undergo a 6-month remodeling project. Thank you for bearing with us as we make needed improvements to our library.
Most of the work will be done with the library open for business. However, we will need to close for 2-3 weeks in early April for carpeting. We’ll give you plenty of notice before that happens!
More info will be coming soon...Please check back!
Library improvements include:
- A more open floor plan with lower shelving and access to natural light
- A variety of seating styles and reading areas
- Additional meeting and study rooms
- Expanded youth areas for toddler/preschool, school-age, and teens
- improved security and sight lines throughout the building
- New computer lab
- New local history research area
- New centrally located entrance
- Upgraded mechanical equipment
- Updated carpeting and furniture
There will be limited access to our older fiction collection beginning Nov. 13. Please ask at the desk if there's something you need that is unavailable. We can place requests for you from other libraries. New books, large print, and paperbacks will not be affected.
The architects are MSR/LHB. The general contractor is Max Gray Construction. The project will cost $2.1 million. $1.9 million will be funded through a loan from the City of Superior's Capital Improvement Program. The funding will be paid back to the City over 12 years through the library's operating funds. About $200,000 will be paid for through library endowments and capital campaign donations. The SPL Foundation is currently fundraising to enhance this project.